- General Info
- Lodging Specials
- How to Volunteer
- Directions & Parking
- Bacon Burner 6k
- Whiskey Tour
- Father’s Day Essay Contest
- BBQ Judges
- BBQ Sponsors
- How to Become a BBQ Vendor
- 2018 Award Results
2018 Event Recap
- The 2018 Colorado BBQ Challenge featured 70+ BBQers, 11 bands over 3 days, pig races, kids’ activities, the 4th Annual Firefighter/Sheriff Cook-Off on the Maximum Comfort /Lynx Kitchen Stage, food sampling and demos, the Breckenridge Distillery Whiskey Tour, the Bacon Burner 6k and the best BBQ in Colorado this year.
- Approximately 70 BBQers competed for a variety of awards in the following categories including pork, ribs, chicken, brisket, anything goes, barbecue sauce, side dish, salsa and dessert. Each team competes for the coveted Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion titles. You don’t want to miss out on getting your own plate of this BBQ!
- Please be reminded that the Colorado BBQ Challenge is a pet free event and that pets should never be left in your car due to dangerously hot temperatures. Leave Fido at home to lounge on your couch so you can be a Colorado BBQ Challenge hero in everyone’s eyes.
- For updates on all things #friscobbq, “Like” the Colorado BBQ Challenge on Facebook.
2019 Colorado BBQ Challenge Dates
Hope you can join us in 2019 for the 26th Annual Colorado BBQ Challenge
Thursday, June 13, 2019 from 7:00pm-9:30pm kickoff concert only- no BBQ
Friday, June 14, 2019 from 11:00am-9:00pm BBQ Day #1
Saturday, June 15, 2019 from 10:00am-6:00pm BBQ Day #2
2019 Colorado BBQ Challenge Registration
Registration for the 2019 Colorado BBQ Challenge is currently open! There are still great opportunities available for Selling Competitors and Vendors, or you can get on the waitlist as a Non-Selling Competitor. Use the button below to register.
Volunteers are the backbone of the Colorado BBQ Challenge in Frisco. Literally, our volunteers do everything from selling beer to moving tables to helping out with registration and selling t-shirts. We could not produce this event without the hundreds of volunteers who donate their time year after year.
We will start recruiting volunteers in April 2019.
Hogbacks Are the Official Currency of the Colorado BBQ Challenge
- Hogback tickets can be purchased at ticket booths throughout the event. $1 = 1 Hogback
- There are no cash vendors on the street and Hogbacks are good for everything from beer to BBQ to berry kabobs.
- Hogbacks can be used after the event at merchants in Frisco throughout the weekend. A list of merchants accepting hogbacks will be available at ticket booths and at the Visitor Information Center.
- Hogback ticket purchases are non-refundable.
- Most food on the street costs between 5 and 12 hogbacks. Food choices vary from from salmon and shrimp to ribs and Philly cheese steaks. Many vendors offer full plates including sides.
- Hogbacks tickets can also be pre-purchased online starting in May and picked up at will call (Visitor Information Center at 300 Main Street) beginning the Thursday before the event.
The first official state BBQ challenge was held in Frisco, Colorado in 1993, with only 12 teams – split almost 50-50 between Frisco-area professional and amateur chefs. During the first few years, the event was held in the Historic Park eventually growing to encompass two blocks of Main Street. Now in its 25th year, our event extends over six blocks of Main Street and can attract over 30,000 people.
Over the past 22 years the Town of Frisco has partnered with six non-profits to put on the event and has raised over $800,000 for those organizations. The BBQ Challenge creates an outlet for other local non-profits to raise funds for their organization. For the 2018 BBQ Challenge the Town of Frisco is partnering with Mountain Mentors, the Summit County Restaurant Association, the Summit County Chamber of Commerce, High Country Conservation, Advocates for Victims of Assault and Women of the Summit.
The Colorado BBQ Challenge is a Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS)-sanctioned competition. KCBS sanctions BBQ and Grilling competitions across the U.S. and promotes barbeque as America’s cuisine. In addition, KCBS has an extensive Certified Barbeque Judging program. It is the largest society of barbeque enthusiasts in the world. Winners of the Colorado BBQ Challenge in Frisco are eligible to compete in the American Royal – the “World Series” of Barbecue.
Follow the Colorado BBQ Challenge Facebook Page for updates on this year’s event! Share your memories with us as well.