- General Info
- Lodging Specials
- How to Volunteer
- Directions & Parking
- Bacon Burner 6k
- Whiskey Tour
- Father’s Day Essay Contest
- BBQ Judges
- BBQ Sponsors
- How to Become a BBQ Vendor
- 2019 Award Results
Best BBQ in Colorado
Join us for the 27th Annual Frisco BBQ Challenge for the best BBQ you will have in Colorado in 2020. Of course, there is more to the BBQ Challenge than delicious BBQ; there are free concerts, pig races, a 6k with a bacon aid station, chef demos, street performers, a firefighter cook-off, a whiskey tour and a charming Main Street setting surrounded by mountains and a beautiful lake.
This IS your grandfather’s BBQ fest; he would love it here in Frisco!
- Thursday, June 18, 2020 from 7:00pm-9:30pm kickoff concert only- no BBQ
- Friday, June 19, 2020 from 11:00am-9:00pm BBQ Day #1
- Saturday, June 20, 2020 from 10:00am-6:00pm BBQ Day #2
2020 Colorado BBQ Challenge Registration
Registration for the 2020 Colorado BBQ Challenge will open at 9:00am on January 2, 2020. Use the button below to register.
Free Entry & Pay for Everything Else with Hogbacks
- Entry into the festival is free.
- Hogback tickets can be purchased at ticket booths throughout the event. $1 = 1 Hogback
- There are no cash vendors on the street and Hogbacks are good for everything from beer to BBQ to berry kabobs.
- Hogbacks can be used after the event at merchants in Frisco throughout the weekend. A list of merchants accepting hogbacks will be available at ticket booths and at the Visitor Information Center.
- Hogback ticket purchases are non-refundable.
- Most food on the street costs between 5 and 12 hogbacks. Food choices vary from from salmon and shrimp to ribs and Philly cheese steaks. Many vendors offer full plates including sides.
- Hogback tickets can also be pre-purchased online starting in late and picked up at will call (Visitor Information Center at 300 Main Street) on Thursday, June 18, Friday, June 19 and Saturday, June 20 from 9:00am-8:00pm.
Frisco loves pets, especially dogs, but NOT at the BBQ Challenge. It’s busy, food laden and plain uncomfortable for anyone at knee level. The BBQ Challenge organizers and volunteers implore pet lovers to leave Fido, Commander, Fluffy and the rest of the gang on the couch during the BBQ Challenge and NOT in their cars or at the event. There will be no pets allowed on the street, sidewalks or parks in the event site. Your best fur buddy and your friendly BBQ staff and volunteers thank you!
How Did A BBQ Festival Start in Frisco?
The first official state BBQ challenge was held in Frisco, Colorado in 1993, with only 12 teams – split almost 50-50 between Frisco-area professional and amateur chefs. During the first few years, the event was held in the Historic Park eventually growing to encompass two blocks of Main Street. Now in its 25th year, our event extends over six blocks of Main Street and can attract over 30,000 people.
Over the past 22 years the Town of Frisco has partnered with six non-profits to put on the event and has raised over $800,000 for those organizations. The BBQ Challenge creates an outlet for other local non-profits to raise funds for their organization. For the 2018 BBQ Challenge the Town of Frisco is partnering with Mountain Mentors, the Summit County Restaurant Association, the Summit County Chamber of Commerce, High Country Conservation, Advocates for Victims of Assault and Women of the Summit.
The Colorado BBQ Challenge is a Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS)-sanctioned competition. KCBS sanctions BBQ and Grilling competitions across the U.S. and promotes barbeque as America’s cuisine. In addition, KCBS has an extensive Certified Barbeque Judging program. It is the largest society of barbeque enthusiasts in the world. Winners of the Colorado BBQ Challenge in Frisco are eligible to compete in the American Royal – the “World Series” of Barbecue.
Volunteer & Help the Magic Happen
Volunteers are the backbone of the Colorado BBQ Challenge in Frisco. Literally, our volunteers do everything from selling beer to moving tables to helping out with registration and selling t-shirts. We could not produce this event without the hundreds of volunteers who donate their time year after year.
Volunteer signup will open in March 2020.
Follow us on Facebook
Follow the Colorado BBQ Challenge Facebook Page for updates on this year’s event! Share your memories with us as well.