Each entrant will be allocated a 15’ x 20’ footprint unless a larger footprint is purchased. Spaces CANNOT be more than 15’ deep. A limited number of non-selling spaces will be available.
Selling teams have a height restriction of 15′.
A Thursday load in and registration will be available from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Please indicate which day you will be arriving for a smooth load in. Contestant may indicate a team they would like to be located near, but contest organizers reserve the right to assign spaces. Selling teams will be separated from non-selling contestants.
- All teams must have a provision for hand washing and meet the Summit County Health Department vendor guide lines. Guidelines are available at Friscobbq.com. BBQ Competitor Health Application must be submitted by all selling teams.
- Fire extinguishers are required. You can purchase them at Wal-Mart, Target, Sander’s True Value Hardware, and Big Horn Ace Hardware. Smoke Arresters are required. All competitors will have a fire inspection on Friday.
- An ice company truck will be on-site both days to sell ice at cost.
- Receptacles for ashes will be available for dumping hot ashes throughout the contest.Please provide your own trash receptacles for your booth. Dumpsters will be conveniently located for trash dumping.
- Tables, tents, chairs may be rented from Colorado Tents and Events which is located in Silverthorne (4 miles from Frisco). Call them directly for rental information at (970) 262-6858 — 7-10 days notice required. Rental / items such as tents and grills must be removed from the street by 8:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Teams must provide their own heavy duty extension cords (at least 200 feet).
- Restrooms (no shower facilities) will be available inside Town Hall and the Visitor Information Center and port-o-lets will be located throughout the event.
- Water will be available at three outside locations at Town Hall, Visitor Information Center, and at the Historic Park.
- Grey water may only be disposed at locations indicated on the map. There are no sewers in the street, so please do not dump water on the street.
BARBECUE SALES: BBQ Tickets – 85% BBQ seller – 15% contest
For the last ten years, the Barbecue Challenge has been a non cash event. Our sale of tickets has been a good fund-raiser for our event’s non-profit benefactor and a way for our cooking teams to recoup some of their costs. From each $1.00 ticket sold the Barbecue team receives $.85; and the contest $.15.
Last year we sold over 400,000 tickets. The top seller redeemed 21,000 tickets, and with the average team redeemed approximately 4,000 tickets (36 teams sold).
SELLING OF BARBECUE: FRIDAY 11:00 A.M. – 9:00 P.M. AND SATURDAY 10:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
BBQ samples and plates may be sold to the public with TICKETS ONLY.
- All vendors, including contestants, who sell any food including plates of BBQ and side dishes, must take tickets instead of cash. You will receive 85% of proceeds from your booth. For instance, you may sell a plate for $5.00, but will be collecting 5 tickets for that plate and will be reimbursed $4.25. Many contestants were very successful with the selling of plates and we encourage more teams to sell larger portions and side dishes. To be fair to all teams, the event is strictly non-cash and the Tickets 85/15 split will be used for everyone.
- Your tickets will be re-counted and a check for 85% of the proceeds minus applicable sales taxes (Frisco will retain your state sales tax and remit it on your behalf; please provide us with a Colorado sales tax ID, if you have one) will be mailed to you within two weeks. The remainder of the proceeds will be rebated to the contest. (We will submit your state taxes for you if you have a CO sales tax id)
- The contest will have three ticket booths and roving ticket sellers; please do not take cash.
- A container will be provided to you to collect tickets redeemed at your booth. Pick up your container at Registration.Please count and turn in your ticket container and reimbursement form at the Recreation Center by 7:00 p.m. Saturday. We will weigh your tickets on-site and let you know the amount of the check that you will receive.
- Teams are encouraged to sell T- shirts, sauces, and other Team Schwag but are required to take tickets and will be reimbursed on the 85/15 split.
- Meat for selling may be brought to the contest pre-cooked. Contest meat must start raw and will be inspected on Friday morning.
MEAT INSPECTION AND HEALTH DEPARTMENT REGULATIONS:
- All meats cooked at the Challenge must be USDA-approved meat or have been purchased from a USDA-inspected source. Cookers must be able to show proof of this.
- Meat inspections will be conducted from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on Friday; the contest representative will certify that the meat begins raw. Meat for selling does not need to begin raw, you may bring pre-cooked or pre-marinated meats. Inspections will be assigned by location.
- In our Miscellaneous category, the health department has some concerns about what types of game (or exotic) meat will be cooked and sold to the public. The FDA and the Colorado Department of Health require that game meat come from inspected sources and our local officials are obliged to enforce that law. If you have any questions about whether your meat can be approved for the miscellaneous competition, call Summit County Environmental Health Department at (970) 668-4072.
SALSA & BARBECUE SAUCE CONTEST:
The Salsa and Barbecue Sauce contests will be Friday night only and will be judged this year by KCBS rules. The official judging will be at 7:00 p.m. for Salsa and 7:30 p.m. for Sauce. Since Salsa and Sauce entries are only $15, space on the street will not be provided unless entrants pay $250.
Registration for Salsa and Barbecue Sauce ends at Friday 10:00 a.m. At registration, official Barbecue Sauce and Salsa contestants will be given a 16 oz. cup which must be used to submit the salsa and/or sauce for official judging. Turn in times will be7:00 p.m. for Salsa and 7:30 p.m. for Sauce. Mail entries will not be accepted. Also, a representative must turn in the Salsa and Sauce at the required times. Contest organizers will not be responsible for turning in of the samples. The Salsa and Barbecue Sauce awards will be given on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. with the other Barbecue awards.
Kids Q will again be held on Friday night – the grills will be started at 4:00 p.m. and the turn in is at 6:00 p.m. Please refer to the KCBS Rules and Regulations. Our contest will have the 2 age groups – 10 and under and 11-15. We will designate an area for cooking and the contest will provide the grills. Parents may help and presentations must be done at the cooking site. A parent must be present with the child during the entire cooking process. ANYTHING GOES in this contest so kids may prepare whatever they like. A complete copy of the rules will be sent to all kids who pre- register.
ANYTHING GOES, DESSERT and SIDE DISHES CONTESTS:
Anything Goes will be an open meat category and will be judged at 6:30p.m. on Friday.KCBS garnish rules do not apply.The entries must be prepared on site and be submitted in the KCBS container with the lid closed.Buffalo,lamb,alligator,sausage,seafood,wings,kabobs,pizza,etc. are some of the items we’ve judged before.You may enter the anything goes category with more than one item.The local health department has some concerns about what types of game(or any exotic meat)that will be cooked and sold to the public. Your game meat must come from inspected sources and you must supply proof of inspection when the contest inspects your meat.
The dessert and side dish categories include any kind of dessert or side dish you can concoct- Anything Goes. All entries must be prepared on site! In Dessert you can be creative as you like in the presentation to the judges – you may use any type of container for turn in. Desserts will be judged last, of course, at 2:30 p.m. Judges will use KCBS procedures for scoring. Side dishes will be judged first at 11:30 a.m., but must be submitted in the KCBS Container. Please collect your container at the judge’s room after 3:30pm. Frisco BBQ and KCBS are not responsible for and damage to your dessert containers.