Audio Cell Tour
Historic Walking Tour
Frisco is proud to announce a FREE Audio Cell Tour of eighteen historic sites all within a mile distance. Use you cell phone as a guide to learn a little more about our mountain town. Call 970-281-3001. At the prompt, enter your stop number ( listed below.) Use the Map and Stop Guide below or just pick up a Walking Tour Map at the Historic Park.
Historic Park stops
#1 Frisco Historic Park & Museum
Located at 120 Main Street this complex functions as a self guided historic park featuring 13 original structures from Frisco dating from 1860 to 1943.
# 2 Schoolhouse circa 1899
Located on its original site and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this structure was first built as the Swanson Saloon. The Schoolhouse Museum was established in 1983.
#3 Frisco Jail circa 1881
Frisco’s first and only jail featured four 7×10 foot jail cells and was built by J. Scott & William Myers, who used square nail construction and recycled wagon wheels to hand-forge door and window hardware.
#4 Niemoth Cabin circa 1931
Built as a family summer home, this cozy cabin features a river-rock fireplace and original furnishings. Emmanuel Bellom used pioneer logs to build this cabin, one of five original cabins in Bill’s Ranch.
#5 Wood’s Cabin circa 1860
Frisco’s oldest standing structure served as a family residence, a post office drop, a bank, a brothel, a saloon, and a general store. This building was constructed with pioneer logs during the Civil War era before Colorado established statehood and Frisco was founded.
# 6 Prestrud / Staley House circa 1899
Built by Henry Hickman with pioneer logs and clapboard siding, this building is representational of a middle-class mining family home. The well house is typical of structures used by families at the time. The outhouse is part of the original home.
# 7 Trapper’s Cabin circa 1942
Frank Ruth and Joe Nelson built this cabin with recycled logs (dating back to 1880) from Curtin, a town once located in the Ten Mile Canyon between Frisco and Copper Mountain.
# 8 Bailey House circa 1895
A typical 1890’s home, the two-story Bailey House features original newspapers dating back to 1884, used for insulation for the interior walls. Constructed with hand-hewn logs, it is a classic example of homes originally located in Frisco.
#9 Bill’s Ranch House circa 1890
Originally serving as the main residence for dairy farmer Bill Thomas and his family, this building features hand-hewn logs and double dove-tail corners, a classic example of late 19th Century homestead construction.
# 10 Log Chapel circa 1943
Built by Reverend Harold Thompson, Frisco’s first church had a sawdust floor when it served as a place of worship for Frisco residents.
# 11 Frank & Annie Ruth House circa 1890
First built as a barn and later converted into a residence, this building features hand-hewn logs, square nails, a root cellar, and board-and-batten gables.
Historic stops throughout Frisco
#12 Old Town Hall
Located at 3rd and Main Street, this building was originally built as a Town Hall and Community Center hosting square dances, and potluck dinners until 1982. The building currently serves as an Information Center.
# 13 Foote’s Rest
Located between 5th and 6th avenue on Main Street, this property once served as Frisco’s Old Post Office, General Store and Gas Station. The main building consisted of a one-room wood plank cabin and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was known as Foote’s Rest in the 1940s-60s.
# 14 Staley – Rouse House
Located at 518 Main Street this building represents a unique building style of pioneer log construction. The building is listed on the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties.
# 15 Frisco Cemetery
Located next to the Frisco Bay Marina and bike path, it is the resting place of many historic figures.
#16 Lund House and Dillon Reservoir
A historic ranch house relocated to the Frisco Bay Marina, it now overlooks Dillon Reservoir, formerly the site of the Town of Dillon.
# 17 Masontown
Located at the base of Mount Royal near the recreation path in Frisco, you will discover the traces and remnants of an old mining town destroyed by an avalanche. (Easy to moderate hiking trail)
# 18 Coke Ovens
Located near the County Commons, south of Frisco on the recreation path (formerly a rail bed) are the remnants of kiln-type ovens used to produce coal.